Introduction to Emergency Management 3. The purpose of this assignment is to reflect on the hazards that may affect your community and identify those with the most severe consequences.
Write short answers to the following questions. (A few sentences or bullets for each question is sufficient.)
List five natural or technological hazards that could affect the county in which you live based on your jurisdiction’s published source (hazard analysis, emergency operations plan, etc.). Use the correct APA Style in-text citation format that you learned in Assignment 1 to reference sources.
Select one hazard and assess the risk it poses to your community:
- Describe the characteristics of the hazard and how it would affect the community.
- How often might such an event occur?
- What would be the location of the hazard and the area that it would affect?
- How long would the hazardous event last? It there a seasonal or other pattern?
- How much advance notice of the event is likely? Can warnings be issued before the event?
- About how many people might be affected? Are there specific vulnerable populations of concern? Are injuries or deaths likely to result from the event?
- What kinds of property damage might occur?
- What would be the likely impacts on the local economy?
Haddow, G.D., Bullock, J. A., & Coppola, D. P. (2011). Introduction to emergency management (4th ed.). Burlington, MA: Elsevier.
Read Chapter 2: Natural and technological hazards and risk assessment