[Essay Help]: States’ Rights vs. National Security
States’ Rights vs. National Security. Terrorist attacks in the European Union, have highlighted the effects of non-secure borders that have allowed terrorists to cross borders without security checks and attack civilian targets. This has raised questions about the viability of the European Union and its lack of security to protect civilians.
The United States adopted a policy to secure its borders while also securing inter-state travel with the Department of Homeland Security’s Real ID program, passed in 2005, but yet to be fully implemented. Americans expect to travel by air within the nation’s borders safe and secure. In December 2016, TSA announced that it would enforce the REAL ID program. As a result, states whose driver’s license ID’s are not compliant by 2018, will not be accepted at TSA Security airports.
- Read “In 2018, SC Driver’s License won’t be enough” by Hugh (see Course Materials Unit 4)
- Look at “No Passport, No military ID? You could soon be grounded.” In The State newspaper
- Research the New York Times map “State by State Compliance Status”
- Visit DHS for background on “Real ID Enforcement” and related topics
- Assignment 3: Write a 500-word essay and cite references in APA style. Use the outline below as topics to guide the development of your essay from both the references listed and from your research.
- 1. Background: Select a European country that has been the subject of a recent terrorist attack. Briefly describe the attack. Identify and describe the security breaches, reported through open sources that made the attack possible.
- 2. Select a state for study that is out of compliance, and describe its rationale for non-compliance. Include a brief overview of the DHS REAL ID program.
- 3. Summarize the arguments for a universal ID system and those against a universal ID system. Take a position and draw conclusions for or against the need for a universal identification system on the basis of either national security or states’ rights. Use facts from your reading and reference those facts to support conclusions. Cite your references in proper American Psychological Association format.
States’ Rights vs. National Security
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!