Facione & Gittens (2016) state, “Strong critical thinking about complex and difficult social policies demands that we respect those with whom we disagree” (p. 344). The authors of your text ask us to take seriously the points of view of those with whom we disagree.
- Should I respect the point of view of a misogynist – a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women?
- Should I respect the point of view of a racist?
- How about someone who believes marriage is only between one man and one woman?
- How about someone who does not believe that humans are contributing to the conditions that cause climate change?
- How about someone who denies that the Holocaust occurred?
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, pick one point of view from the five questions above that you find particularly repugnant – one that you think is completely unjustifiable. If you were in conversation with such a person, how could you ethically respond to the statement of such a point of view? Keep in mind that you are expressing a value opinion, which requires ideological reasoning, so you may want to review Chapter 13.